Note: Group photo by Flying Flamingo Fotographie.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Meet The Goose...

Well, I'm not sure there is a proper way to introduce such a force to be reckoned with, but I will do my absolute best. Blog-o-sphere, meet The Goose. Most people call her Gigi, which is short for Genevieve. But at home we call her "The Goose". Yep... she's that kind of kid. A glorious, wild, fearless, adorable... mess! 

A common phrase you might hear at our house sounds like "Hey, go see what The Goose is doing!" or "The Goose is up from her nap." And in case you are wondering, she answers to Goose or Goosie. We call her Goosie so often, it's surprising that she knows that her name is Gigi, but the first rule that any of my kids learn, or pets for that matter, is to answer to a trillion nicknames. (Those of you who know us well are probably getting a chuckle right now, and for the rest of you, I'll fill you in on another post later!) I don't know where the nicknames come from, they just happen. And somehow they just fit.

When Gigi was born, we already had her name picked out... Genevieve Joy. Named after my dearest friend Jen, and my amazing mother in law P. (Her middle name is Joy.) But the first day I saw her, "Baby Goose" just came out of my mouth... and the Goose part stuck. But just look at the definition of Goose... this is SO Gigi!!
From freedictionary.com:

goose  (gs)
n. pl. geese (gs)
1.
a. Any of various wild or domesticated water birds of the family Anatidae, and especially of the genera Anser and Branta, characteristically having a shorter neck than that of a swan and a shorter, more pointed bill than that of a duck.
b. The female of such a bird.
c. The flesh of such a bird used as food.
2. Informal A silly person.
3. pl. goos·es A tailor's pressing iron with a long curved handle.
4. Slang A poke, prod, or pinch between or on the buttocks.
tr.v. goosedgoos·inggoos·es Slang
1. To poke, prod, or pinch (a person) between or on the buttocks.
2. To move to action; spur: goosed the governor to sign the tax bill.
3. To give a spurt of fuel to (a car, for example); cause to accelerate quickly.


Now let me point out the obvious. Gigi is silly... Crazy, nutty, all over the place silly....a silly goose! She keeps this whole house in stitches. And she is constantly moving herself in action, or spurring someone else into action. She is non-stop. Always going going going.... and always there is a disaster in her wake. Which brings us to the second part of the definition... getting goosed! 

A poke, prod, or pinch between or on the buttocks. Uh Huh, the moment of my day (and yes there is at least one moment every day) that I am figuratively goosed by this child. I'm going along my day, things are getting done...everything is under control... and WHOOP! When I am least expecting it, The Goose gets the better of  me...and creates some sort of calamity for me to take care of.

 Now, mind you, The Goose does nothing small. Nothing half way. If she is going to make a mess, it WILL be of epic proportions. I mean, to the point that you want to laugh & cry (and I often do) at the same time. Definitely picture worthy... Which brings me here. This stuff is just to good not to blog about.

So tomorrow, I will share with you the event that inspired this whole venture... until then, goodnight!




1 comment: