Note: Group photo by Flying Flamingo Fotographie.

Friday, August 5, 2011

The Goose is a milk junkie.  The amount of milk that this child consumes in a day is crazy. Even more amazing, is that she can chug a sippy full of milk in seconds. One of these days I'm going to time her with a stop watch. I'm not kidding, she could challenge a house of frat boys in a chugging contest and make them look like chumps. (Lets just hope that this is a skill that she never realizes!)

So this habit is getting seriously expensive, and I've been spending the last couple of days trying to put her through a milk detox program. Easy enough concept, right? And yes, I've tried the obvious... Offer something different to drink... Distract her with something fun to do... Cut her off, put my foot down, & just say no... yeah right.

If you've been following along with the blog, I'm sure it comes as no surprise when I say that The Goose is: independent, determined, & tenacious; among many other wonderful things. This translates into many leadership qualities, that will serve her well, I'm sure. But the translation right now means "Give me what I want, or I WILL find a way to do it myself." Let me just say that this has been a battle of wills all day long!


It doesn't matter the subject... When I say no, The Goose takes that as a start point for negotiations. Naturally, I got rebuttals and arguments this morning when I said "Enough milk, let's try something else." By mid-day, she resorted to some pretty good temper tantrums when I offered juice and water in her sippy cup.

By this evening, she concluded that her normal fluency in getting her own way was not going to work, so she tried a new approach... After two cups of milk with in the hour prior, I cut her off again. So The Goose toddled off into the kitchen, and brought back the entire gallon of milk.

(I wonder what goes through her mind as she does this? Perhaps she thinks I'm just tired...After all The Goose has been at it double time today, and she wants to do me a favor. Maybe she's proud of herself for taking such initiative...What a "can-do" attitude, right? More than likely, it's more like "get me my freakin milk, woman!" Yep. That last one is probably right.)

So while I was giggling at my adorable curly-headed girl, I gently told her no. I got up, put the milk away & brought her back some juice. After all, I am determined to get this habit under control.

Surprisingly enough, there were no arguments or tears. She toddled off into the kitchen to get her favorite blanket. Here I am, thinking "success!" we've made considerable progress. Now you know what this means..... Yep. I got goosed.




Uh yea... It wasn't but a short time later, while I was helping one of her brothers log on to a computer game... she just went and took matters into her own hands.

(I have a feeling that she decided to bypass the sippy cup, and down it right from the jug. Sadly enough, she has done that before. But it worked much better because the jug was less than 1/4 full. This one had quite a bit left, so it probably got too heavy.)

So this is how I found her, I don't know if you can see it in the picture, but she has a towel & was trying to scrub up the mess. (I gotta give her that at least.) I got another towel, and finished cleaning up the ocean of milk on my floor. As I am wringing out the towel in the sink... I feel the familiar clanking of an empty sippy cup on my hip and The Goose starts in: "Milkeeeey...MAMA!"

Ok, Goose.... You win!

Goodnight friends... The Goose & I will catch up with you after the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment